Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:23:04 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
Cc:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old version of PAM in 3.0-stable stopping Samba working?

Chris Stenton wrote:

> Well John you are the only person I know who has got it working straight out of
> the box on a 3.0 machine! If the security level is share and the shared
> directories have public access then all is fine. Any security control that
> needs password checking and you get the module errors as stated.

I have just found the same problem with Samba 2.0 and FreeBSD 3.0.
I sent a message to freebsd-ports.

I have recompiled Samba disabling the PAM support, and now it
works. First, I started the "make" from the Samba port directory;
just after running "configure", I stopped the make, and then
I edited source/Makefile for removing "-lpam" from LDFLAGS.
Also, I edited source/include/config.h, searching for macros
including "PAM" as part of their name (two), and #undef'ing them.

Then, I went back to the Samba port directory, and typed "make"
again, resuming the compilation (actually, starting it). The
so built samba daemons do not use PAM at all, and authentication
now works (SWAT also works).

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139