Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:32:14 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: processor recommendations for multi-user freeBSD system ?

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 06:36:18PM -0700, Joesh Juphland wrote:
> So what two processors should I use ?  Coming from a Sun hardware
> background, I originally thought to use PIII Xeons .. since they have a lot
> of cache, and fast cache.  I was thinking 512meg cache p3 xeons running at
> 550mhz.

Does it matter?  90% of the "shell" systems I see have poor
performance because they are out of memory and swapping like a dog.
Another 9.99% have enough memory, but because there aren't enough
disks / fast enough disks everything is blocked waiting on io.
Only 0.01% of them have I ever seen be CPU bound (100 tintin++'s
can do that to you :-).

Unless it's a compiler farm, or you have lots of users running
specialized apps (mathematica, staroffice) I bet pouring your money
into memory and io bandwidth will make the system more 'responsive'
to the end users.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org