Date:      Sun, 28 May 1995 00:21:28 +0000 (WET DST)
From:      "Alexis Yushin" <alexis@unicorn.ww.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   /usr/local filetree and ports question

	My knowledges may be out of date, but every FreeBSD port I saw
before used /usr/local/lib directory for its libraries. The question is
why it is so, instead of placing, for example IRC files into
/usr/local/share/IRC instead of /usr/local/lib/IRC following, thus, the
original BSD filtree philosophy. For example, I think that elm.rc should
go into /usr/local/etc but its help files would go into /usr/local/share/misc
or just /usr/local/share. I don't have a strong point about local manual pages,
but I think it is likely that /usr/local/share/man is the right place for
them. Well, then thinking about lets say inn, I think that its binaries
would go into /usr/local/libexec (innd etc) /usr/local/bin (frontends)
and /usr/local/libexec/news or innd (backends and utilities)
	The thing described above would, as I suppose, enhace the structure
of the whole FreeBSD.
	Please let me know if I'm wrong. I made such adjustments at my
FreeBSD-950322-SNAP boxes and they make me happy now.
	So, again, I would be just crazy to hear any other philosophical
views.
								alexis

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm on the hackers list now -- it is up to majordomo
admin (I subscribed local alias instead of me, so they must be checking now),
so please mail to me directly: alexis@ww.net
--
					So much ado my lover
					So many games we played