Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 10:43:12 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        <johnmpurser@home.com>, "John Purser" <johnmpurser@home.com>, "'Ben Smithurst'" <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, "'R Joseph Wright'" <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        "'Christian Weisgerber'" <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: cvsup error: Release not specified for collection - CVSup file included

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, John Purser wrote:
> Lets try this again.
>
> My cvsupfile is copied from the examples directory.  The non-comment lines
> are:
> host=cvsup1.freebsd.org
> base=/usr
> prefix=/home/ncvs
> *default host=cvsup1.freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/home/ncvs
> *default release=cvs
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> *default tag=RELENG_3_4_0_RELEASE
> src-all
> cvs-crypto
> ports-all
> doc-all
>
> And I invoke cvsup as root like this:
> cvsup -g -L2 cvsupfile
> in the directory (/root) with the cvsupfile.
>
> I'm still getting the error message:
> Release not specified for collection "host=cvsup1.freebsd.org"
>
> I (think I)really want to track the 3.4 release branch.  I've commented out
> the line "*default tag=RELENG_3_4_0_RELEASE" with no effect.  It is reading
> my cvsupfile because I've tried cvsup2.freebsd.org as well and I get the
> same message from a different server.
>
> What am I tripping over/stepping on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Purser

At first blush, if this is an actual copy of all the non-commented
lines, then you need to remove the first three. The file should look
like this:

*default host=cvsup1.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/home/ncvs
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
*default tag=RELENG_3_4_0_RELEASE
src-all
cvs-crypto
ports-all
doc-all

You may also want to use a different site, as the higher numbered ones
tend not to be used as much. I use cvsup7.freebsd.org and get excellent
response time.

  --  Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.