Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:10:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, saper@system.pl
Subject:   Re: syscons: SC_MOUSE_CHAR value rationale

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> >I agree with you - it is very strange for Czech users too (and maybe
> >for almost all ISO-8859-* users) - default mouse settings override some
> >important characters. Maybe we should ask Kazu if it is possible:
> >
> >1) Move SC_MOUSE_CHAR into sysctl tree as read-write value.
>
> Maybe we had better implement a new ioctl and use vidcontrol to set up
> mouse char codes.
>
> sysctl is to tweak the kernel behavior.  I would rather hesitate to
> use it to customize device drivers, unless it has something to do with
> kernel state/behavior and/or security; this is not the case with
> SC_MOUSE_CHAR.
>
> >But Kazu have cleared off in December and I don't know where he is...
>
> I am here :-)

  Kazu, before you made yourself visible, I went ahead and patched
-stable's syscons to include the hw.syscons.sc_mouse_char sysctl variable.
The patch is in PR kern/15996. I could change to to use the ioctl
interface if you think that is is necessary.

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Richmond, VA
Analyst / E-business Development, Bell Industries  http://www.bellind.com/