Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 14:38:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Doug Jolley <doug@bigwheel.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mounting a DOS Partition

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Doug Jolley wrote:

> Specifically, I'm inquiring about how to mount a DOS partition.
> I assume that it's something like:
>
>     mount -t msdos /dev/??? /MountDir
>
> It's what replaces the question marks that baffles me.  I think
> this is a special case of the more general question, "How do
> I tell what the filenames in the /dev directory relate to?"
> Can someone please enlighten me?  Thanks for any help.
>
>      ... doug

	Well, alot of it comes from experience I suppose.  Take note of
what devices are found when you machine boots, e.g. sd0, sd1, wd0, fd0,
etc.  You can find out what type of devices these are by looking at the
man pages in section 4, the device driver section. e.g. "man 4 sd".  The
pages often describe the expected naming scheme for various devices.  You
can also look at the /dev/MAKDEV script to see what devices can be made
using default names.

	Note that disks have lot of device files associated with them.
There is one block and one raw device node for each disk, as well as
another pair for each disk partition.  You can find out more about
expected usage of various disk partiton names in the diskpart(8)
manpage.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,