Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2012 08:00:36 GMT
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/165845: Unable to build kernel on 8.2-STABLE

The following reply was made to PR amd64/165845; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To: Justin <freebsd.users@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 23:27:42 -0800

 On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Justin <freebsd.users@gmail.com> wrote:

 >>Number: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 165845
 >>Category: =A0 =A0 =A0 amd64
 >>Synopsis: =A0 =A0 =A0 Unable to build kernel on 8.2-STABLE
 >>Confidential: =A0 no
 >>Severity: =A0 =A0 =A0 serious
 > The build fails at /usr/src/sys/modules/aac. Here are full details - http=
 ://paste.pocoo.org/show/562737/

 > My env - http://paste.pocoo.org/show/562246/
 >
 > The build fails with GENERIC and custom KERNCONF at same stage. I am buil=
 dworld and kernel-toolchain without any problem.
 >>How-To-Repeat:
 > csup the source tree with stable-supfile & rebuild the kernel.

 This is some sort of user error and a problematic bug report as well.

 First.. please don't use pastebin type things that expire.  When the
 context goes away in 31 days, the bug report becomes meaningless and
 loses its search reference value.  In a month or two, somebody might
 have the same problem and if there's a documented solution here then
 the search engines will never find the context to give them the
 solution.

 Second..   The last error you hit was:
 ld  -d -warn-common -r -d -o aac.ko.debug aac.o aac_pci.o aac_disk.o aac_ca=
 m.o
 -L VERSION -g -o aac.ko.debug aac.o aac_pci.o aac_disk.o aac_cam.o
 -L:No such file or directory

 The only things that look like that are in share/mk/sys.mk:
 # C Type Format data is required for DTrace
 CTFFLAGS        ?=3D      -L VERSION"

 And that's used with a SYSTEM_CTFMERGE in the kernel makefiles.

 So, what you've done is partially disabled dtrace or CDDL or the CTF
 flags.  Or you've got a stale /usr/obj/* tree.  Or got stray, stale
 build files in your source tree.

 This is an environmental issue on your end in some way.  (I don't mean
 the $ENV variables.. It is something else.)

 --=20
 Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
 "If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
 themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell