Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:11:06 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org, mark@grondar.za, peter@FreeBSD.org, peter@spinner.dialix.com, wpaul@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM bogon? Was: Re: NIS breakage

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:

> Fixing support for "?" fields is more important (you can't edit fields
> that are "?" when visual userconfig is started, and you can't change
> fields to "?" because the range checking and/or field width doesn't
> allow 0xffffffff and the input checking doesn't allow -1).  Try changing
> the port of lpt0 to 0x378 and back to -1.

This is a direct result of a discussion thread in which I attempted to
ascertain a suitable set of values for "not useful" and "find it yourself",
the net result of which was your insistence that there was no suitable
value for either and that neither should be allowed.

If you have a new tune, please start piping.  I have no problem at all
with supporting arbitrary 'magic' values, and allowing the user
to specify these in an unambiguous and visually obvious fashion.