Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:55:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/vesa usage

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> There is no such thing as /dev/vesa.  If you want to set a video mode
> of your VESA-compliant VGA card, just issue ioctl to stdin.

The explanation was very clear, and I was happy to receive it.  However, I
am getting mysterious errors.

> 	/* obtain mode information */
> 	mode_info.vi_mode = M_VESA_CG1024x768;
> 	ioctl(0, CONS_MODEINFO, &mode_info);

Right here, the ioctl fails with  errno 19, saying, "operation not supported
by device".  Woops, guess I forgot to insert the vesa.ko module. Just to
be safe, I went into /usr/src/sys/modules and rebuilt and reinstalled it.
Ok. But wait!

# kldload /modules/vesa.ko
module_register_init: module_register(vesa, f099a0c0, 0) error 6

Device not configured?  I compiled my kernel with vm86 and vesa options and
rebooted into it... What am I doing wrong?  Is there perhaps a /dev/vesa
after all and I have to use mknod?  My video card is an ATI Rage 3d, and on
bootup it clearly says VESA 2.0 compliant.  Is our vesa support for 1.2
only, or for 2.0?  Had this same error with 3.0, 3.1, and now 4.0

Cheers!

Jonathan Walther