Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:29:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Debertin <airboss@bitstream.net>
To:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tripwire or the like for FreeBSD ?

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Emre Bastuz wrote:

> I found something called "Aide" in the ports directory, but to be honest =
-
> I don=B4t trust a "Version 0.7" when it comes to security.

Nothing wrong with honesty. Lots of software released as "1.0" or "5.2" is
actually no better than beta-quality. ProFTPd and GNOME both come to
mind.... Conversely, I've used plenty of very stable software that hasn't
hit 1.0 yet.

In specific reference to AIDE, we use it here. It's a huge memory hog and
is painful to work with. It's worse than tripwire in terms of ease of
administration, but it does the job.  The config file syntax is nicer,
though.

Dan Debertin
--
++ I do not drink tea.

++ Dan Debertin
++ Senior Systems Administrator
++ Bitstream Underground, LLC
++ airboss@bitstream.net
++ (612)321-9290 x108
++ GPG Fingerprint: 0BC5 F4D6 649F D0C8 D1A7  CAE4 BEF4 0A5C 300D 2387