Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:21:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: future of syscons

It seems Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> Not much has been designed or decided about terminal emulation code
> yet.  I have just a vague idea that the terminal emulator code shall
> write to the vty's internal buffer, rather than directly to the
> screen, and a timer routine will periodically render it to screen.

Thats how it allready works, updating the HWscreen is totally decoupled
from the actual SWscreen buffer. Its only a matter of seperating the
decode of ESC something chars into a module that then can be loaded
with the required emulation functionality. Leave the simple ones
(backspace, enter, etc) in the main code, and let the rest be handeled
seperately. That way one can also have a very minimalistic console
for X only workstations.
So do I hear a volounteer to write a generic VTXXX emulator ??