Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:08:52 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.4-RCx "jumping to kernel entry" hang on Ultra1/2/30

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, IX@pandora.be wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While trying to boot a plain U1 from a disk installed with
>> 5.4-RC2
>> (the disk was installed in a U5) the systems hangs just
>> after entering the kernel.
>

> I see the same hang on an ultra2, booting from the 5.4RC2
> bootonly iso. I don't know what details I need to provide.
> If it's useful, I can send a NetBSD dmesg output.
>
> Kind regards,
> dieter

This is happening to me too, 5.4-RC3 disc 1, Ultra 30.  I can't
recreate using 5.2.1R or 5.3R disc 1 ISOs.  This is now reportedly
happening to three different people with three different models. Is
there a boot-only ISO with full debugging/verbosity available?

Details:

This is happening to me as well, completely vanilla install attempt
from the 5.4-RC3 disc 1 ISO on an Ultra30.  It comes to a grinding
halt here:

nothing to autoload yet
jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0040000.

I have 5.2.1R and 5.3R CDs that I tested boots from during the
troubleshooting process.  Each one booted six times without incident.
It was immediately after a successful install of 5.3R that I
successfully booted from the 5.4RC3 CD and installed.

It happened to me six different times, three times trying to install
with an attached monitor and keyboard, and three times attached to
serial A.  For reasons that are completley unknown to me, I eventually
got past this problem while on the console and performed a pretty
vanilla install ... but the system now stops at this same point in the
boot process.

For what it's worth, it's usually immediately after the "jumping to
kernel" line that I have seen what I seem to recall to be a " stray
vector interrupt" error appear under 5.2.1 and 5.3.  I haven't yet
tracked down what causes these.

>From looking back at the list, this problem is happening to at least
three different people with three different system models.

Is there a boot-only ISO with all of the debugging/verbose stuff
enabled?  I'd be more comfortable using one from one of the
developers/porters than trying to cook up my own.  If I can get my
hands on one before late Friday night, I can get some test results to
the list.

-royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                  - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                    - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531