Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:12:40 -0700
From:      "Eric A. Davis" <edavis@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        edavis@shark.nas.nasa.gov, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add new system calls...

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:57:29 +0200 Eivind Eklund wrote
>On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 04:51:08PM -0700, Eric A. Davis wrote:
>>
>> I am working on a project (for McKusick's Adv. Kernel class) that allows
>> user level processes to monitor filesystem activity on a file by file
>> basis.  The application program expresses interest in files by supplying
>> the pathname of a file and a set of events to be monitored.  These events
>> can be create file, delete file, size changed, attributes changed, etc.
>
>YES!  I've been missing this since I left my Amiga 5 years ago!

Cool!

>Does the above imply watching for changes in directories, too?  Ie,
>file added to directory, notification sent...

Well, it's basically a reverse engineer or IRIX's imon/fam.  If a directory
is being monitored then any created, deleted, modified file within that
directory will generate an event.  If a file a monitored then only events
for that file will be genereated.

>What level of notification?  Do you get information saying 'file so
>changed atime to XXX'/'file XXX added to directory', or just a flag
>saying 'event so happened on descriptor so'?

An event structure is put on a queue (file desc) that contains the file
in question and what happened to it.  Thus far the following event can
be generated:  create file, delete file, create dir, delete dir, modify
file (contents changed), attribute change for file/dir (chmod, chown, etc).

Of course a process can only register a monitor with the kernel on file
in which it has access. ;-)

Any other ideas would be great.

- e

--
     Eric Allen Davis        Network Engineer
     edavis@nas.nasa.gov     NASA Ames Research Center