Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:31:02 +0200
From:      Thomas Quinot <quinot@inf.enst.fr>
To:        Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple NFS server problems with Solaris 8 clients

Le 2001-10-14, Paul van der Zwan écrivait :

> I am using -current box as a homedir server for my Solaris clients and
> have noticed a wierd problem.

Other problems here, with Solaris 2.[68] as clients, and -CURRENT of
yesterday as server. ls works, but ls -l issues a 'NFS getacl failed'
message *and* waits for a timeout once for each file in the directory.

The server is not multi-homed, and a packet capture shows no trace of
address mismatch problems. One interesting thing is that the client
first does GETATTR on the file (and apparently gets a reply), and
then sends some other RPC, to which the server never replies.
Could this be the getacl request mentioned in the client error message?
I see no mention of getacl whatsoever in the -CURRENT server code. If
no such function is implemented, shouldn't we reject the request?

A packet capture is available at
  http://www.infres.enst.fr/~quinot/nfs.cap

Client is  137.194.192.1, server is 137.194.162.11. The test consists
in first performing an 'ls' on one file, then an 'ls -l' on the same
file. Result:

ls photos-ta; ls -l photos-ta
photos-ta
NFS getacl failed for server shalmaneser.enst.fr: error 5 (RPC: Timed
out)
-rw-------   1 quinot   astre        474 Oct 18 14:17 photos-ta

Thomas.

--
Thomas Quinot ** Département Informatique & Réseaux ** quinot@inf.enst.fr
              ENST   //   46 rue Barrault   //   75634 PARIS CEDEX 13