Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:08:51 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@freebsd.org>
Cc:        perky@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about dependencies

--Boundary-02=_3jl4ApC/lAghQO3

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 06:03, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:

> By default libxml2/xslt installs two components C library and Python
> bindings. Python is an inpterpreter wich is *run-time* required to use
> bindings mentioned above.

You have the semantics of RUN_DEPENDS backwards.

It's unfortunate the upstream developers chose to not distribute the python=
=20
bindings separately from libxml2/libxslt, it's more unfortunate the freebsd=
=20
ports don't either (there's not any other ports/packages system I'm aware o=
f=20
which does this).

I can quite sympathize however - KDE does similar things in many places (an=
d=20
so do the KDE ports in FreeBSD) and it hurts plenty to make the initial=20
conversion to more atomicity and it hurts more to make it so that=20
maintainence overhead will not increase. It's still a good thing to tackle=
=20
eventually and it yields a nice plugable binary package as a bonus. Of=20
course, somebody needs to do it and deal with the loose ends - perhaps this=
=20
thread will be inspiration enough for a yet unknown volunteer.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org