Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 21:59:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installing ported packages

I'm interested in installing some of the programs that are not
included in the FreeBSD main distribution; procmail, rzsz, minicom,
ingres,...   I've been to the 'port' directory, and have seen the
Makefile, DESCR, configure, ...all the others.

I've also read, briefly, the available text on the 'ports collection'.

I already have the source code for some of the programs I want to
install, picked up locally via FTP.

My question is, what part do the 'port' files in play in the
installation of these programs.  Should I replace the packaged
Makefile with the ported Makefile?   Should I place all of the
'port' files ( DESCR, PLIST, patches, configure, md5, Makefile.sed,...)
in the same directory as the source code, then 'make'?

Thanks for your time,

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

--