Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 97 23:30:48 PDT
From:      "Benn Horton" <b.horton@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Hello,

I am having problems connecting to my ISP with FreeBSD 2.1.7. I am using
user PPP command to connect through my modem and I do manage to
connect without any problems. The IPCP sets my host IP address and defines
the peer IP address. I have configures the resolv.conf file with the
IP address of the nameserver (which is correct since it works with the
Internet Explorer dialer). I have tried using PPP in the dial on demand mode
but when I run network commands like ping, ftp the command seems to hang
and times out with an error message. The message states that the
hostname for the DNS nameserver was not found. I find this strange since
the FreeBSD handbook gives instructions to use an IP address rather than
a hostname in the resolv.conf file. How can I configuring my networking so
that all packets will be routed to my ISP and use the nameserver?

Benn Horton.