Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:29:04 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Mike Bytnar <mbytnar@auvo.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'make installworld' fails over NFS mount

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 03:58:41PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Mike Bytnar <mbytnar@auvo.com> [010206 15:15] wrote:

[snip]

> > Is there a workaround for this problem?
>
> Yes.
>
> This bug has been in the tree for quite some time now, basically
> you have to have the nfs mount over the same location as the nfs
> server's build location.
>
> so if on the server you really have:
>
> /usr/src -> /vol/src
> /usr/obj -> /vol/obj
>
> on the client you'll need to have
>
> /usr/src -> /vol/src
> /usr/obj -> /vol/obj
>
> and you'll need to mount the nfs share on /vol/src and /vol/obj on
> the client otherwise it breaks.
>
> Btw, this bug is terribly annoying, it's been around for so long
> that I've given up on tracking down how/where it happened and
> who did it.  If anyone can figure out a way to fix this, it'd be
> nice.

You may or may not be aware, but you can get around a lot of this
using symlinks. My "/usr/src" lives at /export/stable/src on the build
machine; "/usr/obj" is in its default location. On the client, I NFS
mount "/usr/src" and "/usr/obj" at /usr/src and /usr/obj, but to get
the install to work,

  # cd /usr/obj
  # mkdir -p usr
  # cd usr
  # ln -s ../exports/stable/src .

But yeah, this all seems silly and annoying. Why bother with having
the "/usr/src" path above "/usr/obj" during the build process?