Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:35:42 +0200
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memory pages nulling when releasing

Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav napsal/wrote, On 06/19/06 13:49:
> I very much doubt it.  DRAM needs to be continuously refreshed, and
> loses its state within milliseconds of losing power.
>=20
>> At least I saw that in TV (CSI Wanne-Eickel or so), how they read from=
>> overwritten hard disc shreddered with a "laser"...
>=20
> Umm, first, CSI is fiction; second, unlike DRAM, a hard disk is
> designed to retain information when power is switched off.

	Well, we should not accept fiction serials as serious source of=20
information. On the other side, we know nothing about secret services=20
secrets. Sometime, the more safe side is count that they MAY be able to=20
do it (despite of exact meaning of "they" and "it").

	I know something about not so secret secrets. You need no physical=20
access to computer nor active remote access. You need no steal the DRAM. =

The computer is big transmitter of electromagnetic waves which can be=20
received from distant place. Analysis of it can not so unimportant part=20
of the computers work. As distant passive method it's almost undetectable=
=2E

	Counter-measures against this kind of spying is very expensive - you=20
need special isolated server room and large controlled area with=20
restricted access around it (even the best isolated room can't shield=20
the transmission completely).

	I don't dispute about probability that someone asking this kind of=20
question in this kind of discussion list has sensitive data of high=20
value for a secret service (and obtainable by know technique of=20
receiving elmg. noise or unknown technique of reading of upowered DRAM).

	On the one side, price of counter measures should be comparable with=20
risk value. Zeroing some memory containing selected sensitive data as=20
part of free on application level is very cheap solution. It's eligible=20
even in the case the value of eliminated risk is very low, so we should=20
not deny it as technique with no real value ...

						Dan

--=20
Dan Lukes                                   SISAL MFF UK
AKA: dan@obluda.cz, dan@freebsd.cz,dan@kolej.mff.cuni.cz