Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 11:14:18 -0500
From:      Jon Dugan <jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, Tony Rimovsky <tony@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject:   Re: ftp-master method

  I have been mirroring from ftp3 via rsync anononymously for a few weeks now.

  I have received my boss's approval to go ahead and become an official
  mirror.  I haven't turned on anonymous ftp yet, but I'm going to be doing
  that just after I send this mail.  I am also up for running an rsync server
  to allow downstream mirrors and anonymous rsync access.

  I'm willing to dedicate the time and energy to making sure this system is
  highly available.  We use FreeBSD extensively in the networking group here,
  and this is one of they ways we can give something back to the project.

  Our connectivity is as follows:

    OC12 to Abilene
    OC12 to vBNS+
    OC3 to the AADS (Chicago) NAP (peering with several providers there)
    DS3 to Verio

  Our connectivity is a bit skewed towards the research and education
  community, but we have plenty of bandwidth to the commodity internet.

  Could you add reflection.ncsa.uiuc.edu to the mirror access list?

  How do I go about being listed as an official mirror?  Do I just need to
  send mail to hostmaster@FreeBSD.org and request the next available ftp DNS
  record?

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:24:18PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Will Andrews wrote:
> >
> > > OK, so people have problems with either mirror/spegla+ftp and rsync.
> > > How about cvsup?  It uses the rsync algorithm with some optimizations,
> > > and can be configured to have a maximum number of deletions, and has
> > > several methods of excluding files.  It also requires little memory,
> > > although it does hurt when it comes to cpu.  And I'll bet it's a bit
> > > faster than rsync, to put it mildly.
> >
> > I think we're just about ready to go, at least for the rsync clients.
>
> Some things I forgot to mention.. I'm using the same access list that
> ftp.freesoftware.com had for the mirror class.  If you were mirroring
> anonymously, you will need to get in touch.
>
> Cheers,
> -Peter
> --
> Peter Wemm - peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; peter@netplex.com.au
> "All of this is for nothing if we don't go to the stars" - JMS/B5

Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  57C CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820
217/244-7715          |  http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/people/jdugan