Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:22:13 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap problem

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:55:27 -0300
Sergio de Almeida Lenzi articulated:

> Or just that ports system is "frozen" because of the 8.3 release???
>
> Occam's razor:
>
> when you have two or more competing theories
> that make exactly the same predictions,
> the simpler one is the better.

Actually, there are numerous "razors", Occam's being only one.

Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor) is the English
equivalent of the Latin lex parsimoniae --- the law of parsimony,
economy or succinctness. It is a principle urging one to select among
competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and
thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect.

It is usually translated as, "simpler explanations are, other things
being equal, generally better than more complex ones". The key phase
being "other things being equal".

Personally, I am a strong believer in "Murphy's Law".

--
Jerry ♔