Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:22:47 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        bj@dc.luth.se
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Subject:   Re: tcp_output starving -- is due to mbuf get delay?

Borje Josefsson wrote:
> I should add that I have tried with MTU 1500 also. Using NetBSD as sender
> works fine (just a little bit higher CPU load). When we tried MTU1500 with
> FreeBSD as sender, we got even lower performance.
>
> Somebody else in this thread said that he had got full GE speed between
> two FreeBSD boxes connected back-to-back. I don't question that, but that
> doesn't prove anything. The problem arises when You are trying to do this
> long-distance and have to handle a large mbuf queue.

The boxes were not connected "back to back", they were connected
through three Gigabit switches and a VLAN trunk.  But they were in
a lab, yes.

I'd be happy to try long distance for you, and even go so far as
to fix the problem for you, if you are willing to drop 10GBit fiber
to my house.  8-) 8-).

As far as a large mbuf queue, one thing that's an obvious difference
is SACK support; however, this can not be the problem, since the
NetBSD->FreeBSD speed is unafected (supposedly).

What is the FreeBSD->NetBSD speed?

Some knobs to try on FreeBSD:

	net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen		-> 300
	net.inet.ip.check_interface		-> 0
	net.inet.tcp.rfc1323			-> 0
	net.inet.tcp.inflight_enable		-> 1
	net.inet.tcp.inflight_debug		-> 0
	net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack		-> 0
	net.inet.tcp.newreno			-> 0
	net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize	-> 4
	net.inet.tcp.msl			-> 1000
	net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive		-> 0
	net.inet.tcp.sendspace			-> 65536 (on sender)

Don't try them all at once and expect magic; you will probably need
some combination.

Also, try recompiling your kernel *without* IPSEC support.

-- Terry