Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 17:04:18 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

Quite the contrary.  MANY people still can't get X working on their
hardware (I even believe Soren is one of them, with the fancy 4MB
Diamond Viper Pro Video card I gave him! :-( ) and those that do
often only get there after a titanic struggle.

We also have to keep apples and oranges separate.  A cool set of GUI
apps for X?  Sure!  A cool X based *installation* for FreeBSD, or
anything else on the critical path requiring X?  Not something we can
entertain yet.

I also agree that an X installer is a cool project idea to work on.
I'm about to do my "next wave" of libdialog enhancements that should
make it more practical for doing such things.  It's kind of a pain not
being able to put two dialogs on the screen up at once!

We could also do a lot worse to try and sort of copy AccelleratedX's
installation (Xsetup) - take a look at it and see the difference it
makes!  It's a pity that XFree86 itself isn't quite so modularly
constructed - I'm sure that's a fairly crucial component to making the
whole thing "plug and play."  Ah well, we can only try to come as
close as we can!

						Jordan