Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 02:00:52 +0100
From:      Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@II.Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: machine can not see its own broadcast messages

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 04:58:23PM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 02:45:20PM -0600, glenn wrote:
>
> uname -a:
>
> > FreeBSD gforce.johnson.home 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #4: Sat Dec  8 14:04:15 CST 2001     root@gforce.johnson.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GFORCE  i386
> >
> > I started rwhod and I have the rmonitor port installed.  I ran tcpdump
> > and can see the broadcasts but the system is not listening to them
> > (apparently).  In the case of rwhod, no /var/rwho/whod file is being
> > created.
> >
> > Here is the output of tcpdump -n -i xl0:

[tcpdump output SNIPed]

Hello,
As far as I know, FreeBSD doesn't answer broadcasts by default.
Maybe you want to set "sysctl -w net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho=1".
Actually a Linux machine is the only one answering broadcasts
in my LAN (FreeBSD and OpenBSD are quiet) ;).

Martin

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

		-- Jim Levie in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc --