Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 21:46:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        ugen@netvision.net.il (Ugen J.S.Antsilevich)
Cc:        hasty@netcom.com, dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: patches for X11R6??

>>>Thanks I have downloaded all the info that I need from ftp.xfree86.org.
>>>
>>>I assumed that X11R6 pl11 was going to compile cleanly on FreeBSD-2.x
>>
>>It would except for the occasional bug.  The imake problem is the only
>>one I'm aware of.
>Seems like <X11/Xlib.h> has a bug in XFree 3.0.
>The bug is in definition of type Display (actually iy just
>left undefined)

The details of the Display struct are supposed to be private (because
they are implementation dependent).  For this reason, Display is
defined in Xlib.h as:

typedef struct _XDisplay Display;

and struct _XDisplay is left undefined (although it is defined in
Xlibint.h for internal use).  This means that the only legal way to
refer to this type in a user program is as a pointer to it.

If you compile with XLIB_ILLEGAL_ACCESS defined, then struct _XDisplay
is defined in Xlib.h.  Code that requires this is not portable.

David