Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:06:35 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        Belial <megaimp@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC with two monitors

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 08:58:31AM +0300, Belial wrote:
> I have PC with dual head video card (Matrox G450) which supports to
> use both heads independently. I can attach to it two monitors or
> monitor and tv. Also I can attach two mice(ps/2 and serial) and
> two keyboards(ps/2 and usb).
>
> How I can use all that as two terminals in FreeBSD 4.2?
> I mean I want to launch vim on first terminal and netscape on second
> one for example.
>
> Is this possible?
> May be somebody inserted two video cards in one PC? (two normal video
> cards or first onboard and second normal)
> I think it is the similar problem.

I'm using 2 Matrox Millenium cards under FreeBSD.
On one card VGA support is disabled and only one is running for
textmode.
I'm also using only one set of keyboard and mouse - but I asume it
should be possible to use more under X.
I can't speak for textmode with more than one card but X11 is running
fine with more than one card - only the xinerama mode crashed while
starting.

> ps I have driver for G450 which fully supports my card under X 4.0.1
> with two monitors. But I don't know how I can divide control between
> two pairs of input devices(mice and keyboards).

You can define specific devices in the serverlayout section.
It's described in the XF86Config manpage.
You the start the X sessions giving the layout as a parameter.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de