Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 23:03:47 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@silverback.gorilla.net>
To:        Tjglench@aol.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't load Aug 1998 BSD onto my machine

I don't know if I can get you 'where you want to go today, MS (Tm) but I'll
take a shot. 48 megs is not a problem. I have one box running 48 megs.

When you say you get to kernel (sp) setup, must you config to get a boot?
What happens if you just let the boot floppy run without any changing the
config? Do you get to the install menus? Pay close attention to the probe
messages while the boot floppy is running, does everything look like it is
seen? You are not overclocking or anything weird are you?

I have never installed or booted from a cdrom so I cannot comment much in
that area. Give it another shot and I bet you'll get there, maybe not not
today, but eventually :)

Luck,

On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 05:49:54PM -0400, Tjglench@aol.com wrote:
> 486DX2 80 MHz Chip on Elpina MB with bus speed set at 40 MHz and 48MB EDO
> SIMMs.  Using NEC 2X CD Drive, I am unable to load anything beyond floppy boot
> image.   After kernal setup I get "panic: vm_fault:  fault on nofault entry,
> addr:f3185000."  The system then tries a key board reset boot, fails, notifys
> it is trying a CPU shutdown and dies.  Trying a similar tack from the CD Drive
> yields same error with an address of f3187000.  Is there some thing I forgot
> to do? Or What else should I do?
>
> Sinerely Tom Glenchur
> tglenchu@tso.cin.ix.net

Tom

--
IMail Server for Windows NT. Evaluation version.
Copyright (c) 1995-98 Ipswitch, Inc. http://www.ipswitch.com/