Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:28:38 +0000
From:      Anthony Naggs <tony@ubik.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   realtek 8180 WLAN

I got some data for the RTL8180 on Monday, and I have now read it.  It
doesn't look too scary, though some of the description is rather vague.
So I'm now looking for a PCI card implementation that I can try writing
a driver for.  (Anybody seen one, preferably in the UK or Europe?  A
cheap Cardbus bridge would be nearly as good.)

A very quick overview:
The RTL8180 is NIC (or MAC) for IEEE 802.11b network cards, designed to
work with 3 different RF frontend chipsets.  It is a 32-bit part so can
be packaged as a PCI card, (for desktops), a mini-PCI card (some
laptops), or a 32-bit Cardbus PC Card.  (Note: on FreeBSD 32-bit Cardbus
cards need Warner's NEWBUS support, as I understand it, essentially this
means running FreeBSD 5.1.)

Tony