Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:37:26 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Third IDE controller possible?

Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com> wrote:

> >I have a system with two IDE controllers currently, the
> >primary using IRQ 14 and IO range 0x1F0-0x1F7 and the
> >secondary using IRQ 15 and IO range 0x170-0x377.
> >I also have another IDE controller that can be configured
> >for IRQs 11 or 12, but (apparently) only the same IO
> >ranges as the existing controllers (i.e. a jumper labelled
> >"primary" or "secondary").
> >
> >My guess is this third controller won't work.  Am I wrong?
>
> You are correct, it won't work because IBM only designed the PC-AT to
> support two IDE subsystems with two devices each.
>
> If you really need more disk drives or cdroms, etc.,  get SCSI.

***

I have used three IDE controllers and six devices, so its possibe, though. Two
controllers are as usually on the motherboard and third controller was found
on the Gravis Ultrasound PnP soundcard. BTW, you must have third
controller with separate irq and i/o addresses from the others. Also, take a
look at the /usr/src/sys/i386/isa.h file.

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee