Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 17:21:39 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   getty error

Greetings,

I am running 3.1-RELEASE and I rebooted last night after about 68 days of
uptime to install more RAM.  When the system came back up I got the
following error messages (every 45 seconds or so) on the console:

May 24 17:14:29 servbox init: can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp1:
No such file or directory
May 24 17:14:29 servbox init: can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp0:
No such file or directory

What happened?  All I did was shutdown, add some memory, and start back up.
 This is the top of my /etc/ttys file:

# This entry needed for asking password when init goes to single-user mode
# If you want to be asked for password, change "secure" to "insecure" here
console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
# Pseudo terminals
ttyp0   none                    network on secure
ttyp1   none                    network on secure
ttyp2   none                    network
ttyp3   none                    network
ttyp4   none                    network
ttyp5   none                    network

Please cc my email since I'm not on the questions list yet...

Thank you,
Matthew Hagerty