Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:42:45 -0800
From:      Matt Eagleson <matt@deepwell.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   WWW Server Tips

I am finally sick of my pathetic NT Webserver.

I feel comfortable enough now with FreeBSD to move
my Websites over to Apache.  Even with my limited UNIX experience
FreeBSD *HAS* to be more reliable than my often down NT server.

I am writing in the hope that more experienced FreeBSD
WebServer operators can give me some tips and pointers.

I would like to be able to host about 2000 personal
Web directories, and a few business sites.

Some Questions:

- Users should be able to FTP to their directories,
but I don't want to allow shell access. What is the
best way to set this up?  Is a shell=/nonexistent
adequate?

- Do you think this hardware would be appropriate?

Pentium Pro
Tyan MB
64 megs EDO ram
Quantum Fireball 2Gig scsi
Seagate 1Gig scsi
Adaptec 2940
Intel EtherExpress Pro/100b

- What partitioning, and directory mounting strategy would you recommend
with the drives stated above?

- Also, I'm concerned about the 8 character limit on usernames.
Is it safe to modify the username char limit on a machine that
will be a webserver only?  And if any wants to save me a trip to
the list archives, how is this best done?

Thanks in advance, as always,

Matt Eagleson
(Humble before the Gurus)