Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:47:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Hartley <mark@whetstonelogic.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dumping an msdos filesystem

I use dump to back up my hard drive, and it works well, except that I
am unable to get it to back up the msdos filesystem (Win95 - FAT 16)
that is also on the hard drive.

When I try to do the dump command:

dump -0uaf /dev/nrsa0 /dosc

I get the error:

DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0s1 (/dosc) to /dev/nrsa0
DUMP: bad sblock magic number

and then it dies.

Is there a switch, or something I can use to enable backing up my
msdos partition?  I've looked in the dump manpages, and searched the
mailing list, but I've found nothing.

I can access the drive using the /dosc mountpoint to copy/move/delete
files, so I know the partition is mounted properly.

Thanks.

Mark.