Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2012 09:12:57 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

On Jun 3, 2012 4:39 AM, "Erich" <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 02 June 2012 PM 4:07:23 Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> > I'll try to be short.
> > I'm using FreeBSD both at servers and as a desktop, but I see
> > struggling of my friends with it in some things.
> >
> > 1. Ports mess. You can very easily render system unusable, or broken
> > if you trying to use latest ports. And then you had to became "a port
> > master" to fix all. Of course you need a lot of free time, right? :)
>
> this seems to be ignored. I have just a small discussion in the thread
Why are you using FreeBSD about this. It would be already a step forward to
help people out of this fix when the ports tree of release would be easily
available.

> > 2. No decent packet manager (I hope pkgng will make life easier). You
> > can't just upgrade this and that packet and see what's new, and
> > rollback if you don't like somthing .
>
> I really hope this will never come. Why? It will kill make install. Make
install is the key to FreeBSD.

> I believe a better solution would be versioning of the ports tree. When
the ports tree compiles fully, it can be saved and its version number
incremented.

The Ports Tree is very rarely in a broken state-- the vast majority of
commits are thoroughly tested and nearly all ports will always compile on a
clean system.

> I do not believe that much more would be needed. Of course, we have then
a huge number of versions. Would it matter? Give the ports tree the major
version number of the latest release. So, at the moment it would be 10.
Increment then the minor every hour if you want. Just make sure that the
ports tree can be downloaded for some time under this version number.

This is already possible....

Chris