Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:51:30 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Ted Hatfield <ted@pat.io.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in less version 406.

--tctmm6wHVGT/P6vA

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 12:14:37PM -0500, Ted Hatfield wrote:
>=20
> Can someone verify this bug for me please and suggest a fix.
>=20
> Error description:
>=20
> Using less -E or more to display a file that is less than a full page,=20
> while then displaying a nonexistent file causes a segmentation fault.

I was able to recrerate the symptoms using more, but not "less -E".

> For example on a newly built system you can
>=20
> less -E /etc/group bogusfile
>=20
>=20
> This will display the file ending with
>=20
> /etc/group (file 1 of 2) (END) - Next: bogusfile
>=20
> when you press space or return it gives
>=20
> Segmentation fault: 11

I did:

g1-18(6.2-S)[1] cd /tmp
g1-18(6.2-S)[2] head /etc/group >group
g1-18(6.2-S)[3] less -E group fubar

and didn't see a problem

Using more(1), I got:

g1-18(6.2-S)[5] more group fubar
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/group,v 1.32.2.1 2006/03/06 22:23:10 rwatson Exp $
#
wheel:*:0:root,david
daemon:*:1:
kmem:*:2:
sys:*:3:
tty:*:4:
operator:*:5:root
mail:*:6:
bin:*:7:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
g1-18(6.2-S)[6]=20

This is with:

g1-18(6.2-S)[6] uname -a
FreeBSD g1-18.catwhisker.org. 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #464: Thu Aug  =
2 06:16:43 PDT 2007     root@g1-18.catwhisker.org.:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/s=
ys/CANARY  i386
g1-18(6.2-S)[7] less -V
less 406
Copyright (C) 1984-2005 Mark Nudelman

less comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
For information about the terms of redistribution,
see the file named README in the less distribution.
Homepage: http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less
g1-18(6.2-S)[8]=20

Peace,
david
--=20
Anything and everything is a (potential) cat toy.

--tctmm6wHVGT/P6vA

--tctmm6wHVGT/P6vA--