Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 1995 09:33:22 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   An apology..

Let me tell you a little about my day yesterday..

The previous day I'd just come off a 36 hour awake stint, and I
finally crashed and burned around 4pm..  Of course, this meant that I
popped out of bed bright and shining around 5:00am the next morning,
so I went off to work and then during lunch realized that if I was
going to be awake for a rather important 8pm meeting later on that night,
I'd better drink some coffee.  Well, I overdid it (3 cappuccinos, if you
must know :-) and when I got back to the office, I was one vibrating
bundle of nerve ganglia.

This is why during the subsequent /usr/include war I fired all sorts
of neutron weapons off and generally did my best to murder everyone in
sight.  Sigh!  So now I'm sending out this message..

Let me put it this way: Over the last 18 months, we've been talking to
eachother almost every day, often many times per day, and I don't
think that it's too innaccurate to say that many of us have become
something like an extended family to one another..  You just can't
communicate that often and for that long without building up some
fairly close ties.  This means that like any family, we have some
nasty squabbles at times but it still doesn't change our essential
value to one another, at least not unless we work really hard at
alienating our fellow teammates.

So, having no desire to alienate my fellow teammates, I'm big enough
to say that I'm sorry.  I still may feel strongly about some of the
issues discussed, but it doesn't mean that I have to try and convince
you all with bamboo splinters under the fingernails.

I think a few of us on these mailing lists could benefit from similar
restraint, but I won't preach to you about it.  Hopefully you will
come to your own realization of how important inter-group relations
are and how fast a simple topic can explode into warfare when the
people involved are unwilling to put good relations before "being
right at any cost."  I certainly have, and I simply wanted to
communicate this to the group.

Peace!

						Jordan

P.S. I think I'm going to give up coffee for good.  It has an entirely
unpleasant effect on my disposition!