Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:36:09 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Ninja <ninja@aerohel.snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] Linux vs. FreeBSD: Efficiency

Ninja wrote:

> I'm currenlty using linux and plan to change to FreeBSD to
> learn more. But I have one question;
> Which OS is efficient and fast is there's same source code
> program ? I do not want to make a flame war, just want to know
> user's point of view. My major computing job is numerical
> simulation and program development.

The source code for FreeBSD is a direct decendant
of the BSD branch of Unix developed at the U of
California at Berkeley. Linux was developed "from
scratch" by Linus and his associates in the 90's.
BSD dates back to the early 80's and is a more
mature OS. Linux is amazingly good for a recently
written OS. It has certainly won the popularity
contest!

I have two old 486 machines that I use for playing
with various stuff I'm working on. They are both
486's, one a 100mhz dx-4 running RedHat 5.2 and the
other is a 66 mhz dx-2 running FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.
Both have 16 megs of memory and IDE drives.

The FreeBSD machine with the slower processor is
much quicker to boot and load programs. I think
that it is because the Linux machine's free memory
is less, due to a larger kernel and the VM is not as
efficient, as both machines swap like crazy when
you start up big executables like Netscape 4.5, but
the FreeBSD machine gets it "on the screen" in roughtly
half the time.

The Linux box is very stable and seems to have a very
nice "native" installation setup.

I intend to swap the drives to see if there is actually
something wrong with the hardware, but for right now,
the FreeBSD box is much more lively with that very
limited hardware. I suspect with more RAM and faster
swap devices, the Linux box would run much better.

If you'd like, I'll run something that does some
number crunching and see what the results are.

regards,
Jim Durham