Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:56:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bob Udderwein <budd@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux vs. FreeBSD

The company I work for currently uses (please don't laugh)
version 2.0 of FreeBSD, at least that is what uname -a
says.  We sell a turnkey, networking solution, including
proprietary hardware and software in a PC running
FreeBSD.

We are debating moving to 3.3 or 3.4 of FreeBSD, or
abandoning FreeBSD in favor of Redhat Linux, version
6.1.

I'm fighting against Linux and need some information
about FreeBSD that I couldn't find at freebsd.org
or elsewhere on the Net:

What version of BIND is in the 3.3 and 3.4 versions?
What version of Kerberos is supported?
Any real time O/S extensions?
FreeBSD run on any hardware besides x86?
Any *facts* on which is more stable?
Any *facts* on which is better for TCP/IP?
Do we have to share with the world the source
code for our application software, or device
drivers?  Same or different with Linux?

Anyone know about network management software
called Dorado?  Seems to interface proprietary
systems to SNMP.  They support FreeBSD?

If you answer any of these questions, would you
please indicate the source of your information.
I can't go to Marketing and Engineering and just
say, I got the info from the FreeBSD mailing list-
I'll need more credibility than that (no offense:)

Thanks,

Bob