Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:34:31 +0100
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in finance sector

On 09/07/2012 07:17 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:55:49 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know of any financial firms or banks that run FreeBSD?
>>
>> I have been instructed to research this for the firm I work at as I am
>> trying to get the senior management to switch over from Linux as our
>> current network is in shambles.
> There is a good chance that networking equipment they use
> (e. g. firewalls, routers, gateways, encryption appliances)
> run FreeBSD internally, or a system derived from it and
> turned into closed source (which the BSD license explicitely
> allows). Probably you won't have a chance to verify this.
>
> For running actual services (not sure _what_ you are running),
> FreeBSD might be as good as Linux, maybe even better. It can
> also serve as storage solution or networking subsystem for
> various kinds of "client OSes".
>
> Probably banks won't tell you what they run. Some run IBM
> mainframe systems (which you can "recognize" when looking
> at screens you're not supposed to look at). Any information
> more precise than just my assumptions can only be provided
> by insiders or service contractors who know the actual
> infrastructures. Banks and financial firms tend to _not_
> publish what they run.

Thanks for the response!

I agree and understand this, hence I am not allowed to give away details
of where I work etc.... but I can state that we are using an aging Linux
(CentOS) based architecture for our systems and as the new boy in town
have made a big campaign to run a mixture of FreeBSD and Sun SPARC
systems as AIX seems to be a big pain in the assets to admin.

Regards,

Kaya