Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:01:51 +0900 (JST)
From:      Masahide -mac- NODA <mac@clave.gr.jp>
To:        peter@wemm.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC kernel can't boot on vmware

From: Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:04:58 -0700

mac> I'm using vmware for W2K(2.0.4 build 1142), Guest OS FreeBSD.
mac> I made 4.4-RC kernel and tried boot, but it can't.

mac> The kernel freeze at exec moused. I try to disable to exec moused,
mac> but init(1) panics before login prompt.

mac> 4.4-PRERELEASE kernel(cvsuped at 8/13) can boot, so, I merge change
mac> step by step, I found,

mac>   merging "SSE kernel support"(2001/08/14 18:23:54 PDT) -> can't boot

mac> Kernel option "CPU_ENABLE_SSE" is not effective. I tried to both kernel
mac> CPU_ENABLE_SSE option enable/disable, but, it can't boot.

mac> 4.4-RC kernel (include SSE support)
mac>    can boot on vmware, the root partionis "Virtual Disk".
mac>    can't boot on vmware, the root partionis "Existing Disk Partions".

mac> 4.4-RC kernel (not include SSE support)
mac>    can boot on vmware, the root partionis "Virtual Disk".
mac>    can boot on vmware, the root partionis "Existing Disk Partions".

mac> 5-current kernel (cvsuped at 8/12)
mac>    can boot on vmware, the root partionis "Existing Disk Partions".

peter> I am sorry, I am quite confused at this point..

Oops, sorry. It means bellow.

  o 4.4-RC kernel (include SSE support) is cvsuped 4.4-RC kernel.

  o 4.4-RC kernel (not include SSE support) is backouting SSE support
    commit from 4.4-RC kernel.

peter> Are you saying that the commit that added SSE support makes
peter> freebsd fail as a vmware guest OS, regardless of whether it was
peter> compiled with or without CPU_ENABLE_SSE?

Yes. 4.4-RC kernel cause hangup on vmware guest OS. Kernel compiled with
or without CPU_ENABLE_ESS is not effective.
Thats root partion is "Existing Disk Partions".

peter> The only effect that the commit changed that is not masked by
peter> the CPU_ENABLE_SSE that I know about is the change to the pcb
peter> structure layout.  I would like to know if the following
peter> (UNTESTED) patch has any effect:

peter> Index: npx.h

I test this patch for cvsuped 4.4-RC kernel, compiled without
CPU_ENABLE_SSE option. It works fine! (fpu.ko fail to compile)

peter> This may require some more changes to make it compile, but the
peter> intent is to shrink the savefpu structure from 512 bytes down to
peter> the size of struct save87 like it was before.
peter> If this does have an effect, then I wonder if vmware is tinkering
peter> with the pcb structure that it "knows" about from outside the
peter> virtual machine..
peter> The other possibility is that we were dangerously close to stack
peter> overflow and this extra pcb size was enough to make it fail.

Hmmm... Sorry, I'm not familiar with those feature... Sorry...
--
mac@clave.gr.jp/mac@jp.freebsd.org