Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:23:32 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 08:11:12AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:47:56PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, I'll bet a tank of compressed air is a lot cheaper than one of
> > > either Oxygen or Nitrogen.
> >
> > I've never seen a commerial cylinder of air. I don't know if you can
> > buy one. I would think that for the vast majority of applications it
> > is cheaper to buy an air compressor than to buy cylinders of air.
>
> I'm sure that you can buy nearly any gas you want, but maybe its
> uncommon need outside the SCUBA field would make it no cheaper than O & N.
> I do remember seeing hugh tanks of liquified air that someone preferred
> to an air compressor.

Liquifying air is a whole separate matter from just having compressed
gas in a cylinder. You need to refrigerate air in order to get it to
liquify. Air at "normal" (any natural terrestrial temperature) is
above the critical temperature and never liquifies. Purchasing and
maintaining equipment for liquifying atmospheric gases is very
different from doing the same for compressed air. Lots of _big_
chemical plants don't even do it for themselves, but have co-located
liquified gas plants from people who specialize in it, like Air
Products.