Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:03:27 -0300
From:      Rafael Ganascim <rganascim@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Carp vhid with vlan id's alignment

Hi list,

I'm planning and testing a new FreeBSD router, with vlans and carp
interfaces. There are a lot of vlans, with high vlan IDs. We have, for
example:

dot1q vlan id: 1530

Iface igb0
 vlan1530
  carp1530
   vhid 10

What do you think in change the carp code to support vhid above 255 (just to
align with vlanid, carp vlan name)? I think that it can ease the
troubleshooting, standardization and documentation (in this scenario). It's
the last piece of the complete 'id' alignment.

But I don't know the impact of this change in the source codes (and related,
like the ifconfig).

What do you think?

Regards,

Rafael