Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 20:03:28 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Huge Binaries..

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Has anyone looked at netscape Communicator 4.7 for FreeBSD???
>
> I just installed it.
> the binary is 13234176 bytes long!!
> yes folks, that's 13 MB!
>
> stripped!
> With shared libraries!
>
> It runs but it's quite easy to make your xserver run out of memory (or
> something (Sig 11))
>
> One has to wonder what on earth they have in there?
>
> (My machine has 32 MB so it can run, but it's a bit of a squeez!)

I guess you may need a bigger swap space. A while ago
yet with Netscape 3.x and 16MB machine I have found that
the smallest acceptable swap size was 50MB or it runs out
of memory real quick. Now I my machine has 64MB of memory
and 150MB of swap but still Netscape 4.07 occasionally
runs out of space. I think it has a big memory leak in
the forms code (sometimes it consumes tens of kilobytes
per each letter typed) and also big problems with Java support.
4.61 seemed to support Java OK (I was able to run a few
games in Java!) but crashed every time I tried to send an
e-mail, so I returned back to 4.07.

-SB