Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:35:32 GMT
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   vnconfig + mount removes permission for a second

Here's a bug in Mount ( or Kernel or NFS or Vnconfig support ? )
but I'm not clear enough to file a send-pr. Comments please...

I'm using NFS + AMD but I think that just detects the problem,
rather than being the cause of the problem.

On Host=rain:
	cp /host/flip/usr2/ew/cdrom.iso cdrom.cd
while the CDROM image is copying across my home 10Mbps ether
((ready for later burning) & while nothing else is causing ethernet disruption)

On Host=flip
	vnconfig vn0 /usr2/ew/cdrom.iso
	mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/vn0c /mnt

As soon as I push return on the host=Flip mount command,
on Host=rain I see the error message:
	cp: /host/flip/usr2/ew/cdrom.iso: Permission denied

Yet starting the cp again just after succeeds ...
So something is momentarily making the image unreadable.
Should FreeBSD [mount/kernel ?] be changed to avoid denying access ?

I tried again using ftp get on Rain, & ftpd on Flip.
That works, & md5 says copy is OK, no big suprise, ftp of course copes
better with transient interruption / non availability.

Julian
J.Stacey  Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Consultant  http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
   Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !