Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:46:59 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Cache

spork wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about FBSD's disk cache mechanism.  What happens when
> you run a SCSI-SCSI raid controller that contains it's own cache memory?

You better spend the money on 'real' RAM, FreeBSD does a better job
managing cache then every caching controller because FreeBSD 'knows'
what it needs next, the caching simply reads ahead.

> The kernel has no way of knowing that some things are already cached out
> beyond the SCSI card, so I assume it would cache something that's already
> cached, right?  How do you work around that?  Is there some way of telling

There's only one 'workaround': disable caching in FreeBSD with the
"sync"
mount option.

> it "hey, don't be very aggressive with your disk caching"?  Or is it such
> a low priority thing that memory isn't used for cache unless there's no
> other use for it?

Kinda, FreeBSD looks how much memory the applications need and takes the
unused memory for disk caching, but it dosn't go under a certain level.

--
Ändre