Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:07:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <root@mscu.snafu.de>
To:        (Hellmuth Michaelis) <hm@kts.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG

Hallo Hellmuth,

On 15-Sep-98 Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

>  The reasons are twofolded - one thing is that most of the private and
>  commercial users of i4b seem to have a strong consume-only mentality,
>  and i don't like to be a free outsourced development department.

These lines really make bad conscience to guys like me ... at least I used the
software īas isī, never begged for additional features and was deeply impressed
of the quality of -so called - alpha-releases. It worked for me from the first
time on and I was/am very happy not to have to use Linux only for surfinī
around via ISDN.

What shall I do? Donate you just another ISDN-Card? The software is worth this
amount of money at least...
Iīm no hacker at all - if Iīm doing programming, I try to
make the life/work of my users a bit easier with some shell-scripts, but thatīs
it. Iīm a SysOp and (very little) IT-Manager and the only thing I can promise
is that Iīm perhaps one of those guys, who are bringing FreeBSD to the large
Companies (even if THEY donīt know about it :-). I think this is one goal of
the FreeBSD-team worldwide, isnīt it? And ISDN-connectivity is a īmust-haveī
for all major OSes nowadays.

My long-time goal is to become a (kind of) unix-guru, but even a guru isnīt
necessarily a kernel-hacker.

Whatsoever - Iīm sad if you quit and I really thank YOU for your work!
(All others too, naturally - but thatīs another story...)

>  The other thing is the reaction or non-reaction in public and private of
>  the FreeBSD core team regarding an open letter published on -hackers
>  which indicate that it is neither necessary nor worth nor appreciated
>  to contribute to FreeBSD and all is fine as long as one shuts up.

I cannot imagine that a Joerg Wunsch or an Andreas Klemm or any other member of
the core team I know of (from their writings in usenet) have that opinion -
really! And phk (as I understood him) hasnīt commited that īopen letterī (which
I donīt know) either.

Iīm (as you can imagine :-) NO member of -hackers, but this would be a hard
disappointment, especially because I prefer the more mature developement
organisation of FreeBSD over that of Linux. And I never had the impression that
the FreeBSD core-team feels so self-contained, that it resigns of external
contributions. But thatīs an opinion from outside ...

At least I (!) think that i4b has to become part of the FreeBSD source - it
works for private <-> work connections as well as for sppp-connections to ISPīs,
the nat-problems seems to be solved, it compiles obviously also to ELF, so what?

If I look at the mailing-list, there are more and more newbie-questions, so it
seems to work. And even the docs are OK, so I cannot understand the newbies
(sorry, but I also had to read these ugly four letters in the beginning:
R-T-F-M :-).

>  But perhaps this is just a mere fantasy and so i'll take a break,
>  unsubscribe from all FreeBSD mailinglists and do a reality check.

I hope so! Happy checking :-)

Once again: Thank you for your work - Matthias