Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:17:58 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why does fsck try to fsck a CDROM?

Dave Hayes wrote:

> David O'Brien -Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> > You mentioned though that your CDROM is /.  How about posting the real
> > /etc/fstab from your root partition for us to have a look at?
>
> There is none. No default fstab exists.

There is no Dana, only Zuul...

I think that root gets fsck'ed in the rc files, even if
there is no /etc/fstab, on the theory that that might be
one of the reasons fsck needs to be run.

Fsck normally runs on root when it is mounted r/o, and
root gets mounted r/w only after it passes.

The question is whether you can distinguish between a
r/o device vs. a r/o mount of a r/w device... that is
what fsck would have to do to decide to skip the fsck
entirely for a cdrom.

...on the other hand, you could have burnt a dirty FS
on the CDROM, in which case, it should check it and
refuse to boot until you "fix" the errors by running
fsck manually (quite the trick with the hole in it)...

8-).

-- Terry