Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 19:35:23 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike <mike@icorp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Terminal snafu in 2.1.5 and 2.2.2 gripes

On Tue, Nov 04, 1997 at 02:59:48AM -0600, Mike wrote:
> At 06:12 PM 11/04/97 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 03, 1997 at 09:45:14PM -0600, Mike (mlbsd) wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a PPro 200 Intel system.  I have a little
>>> problem in that during boot-up, if I don't repeatedly hit "ScrollLock", the
>>> console will freeze and the only way to access the system is remotely.  I
>>> narrowed this down to some bug in the virtual terminal software - my
>>> question is - is there a way to disable this "feature" from the
>>> boot/start-up process?  Is there an upgrade?  Can I load the virtual
>>> terminal process manually later?  Is it configured in the Kernel?  I'd
>>> prefer to not have to re-compile the kernel since I haven't done that
>>> before and I'm otherwise happy with the system's performance.
>>
>> The virtual terminals are what you talk to.  Even if you only have one
>> of them, you have them.  By default, you have the sc driver, but you
>> can change to vt if you think this would make a difference.  Look in
>> this part of the config file:
>
> I have not rebuilt the kernel, so I'm not sure what file you're talking
> about.  Pardon my ignorance of the nomenclature, but I'm referring to
> whatever software handles the console (alt F1-F3).  If I don't start
> hammering scroll lock after the SCSI device check, the console locks up -
> it's pretty darn weird.  Are you telling me the kernel needs to be
> recompiled to fix this?

No, read what I said.  If you *had* rebuilt the kernel, it could have
been a possibility, but I thought it was a long shot.  You should be
able to imagine, though, that what you report isn't typical, or nobody
would use the system.

>> Personally, I suspect some latent hardware problem.  If you have built
>> your own kernel, this could conceivably be a kernel build problem, but
>> I can't even hazard a guess where.
>
> I've never built my own kernel.  I selected the hardware and software so I
> could avoid having to mess around with those things.  And my first
> installation of FreeBSD was so painless that I've never had to - maybe I
> was spoiled?  The system has been incredibly reliable under major traffic
> loads.

Don't worry about the kernel.  Sorry I mentioned it.

>>> This is a pretty generic system set up (Intel VS-440 PPro system with 64MB
>>> Ram, Adaptec 2940uw, Seagate Barricudas, 3Com 3c509).  I recently purchased
>>> FreeBSD 2.2.2 and was dismayed to find that the damn thing wouldn't
>>> recognize my SCSI CD-ROM.  I could boot to the CDROM but after
>>> installation, the OS wouldn't recognize the drive!!  I was in a critical
>>> situation and needed to get the system back online so I threw 2.1.5 back
>>> online.
>>
>> I think you're jumping to conclusions here.  This is definitely not
>> standard behaviour.  You don't say what your CD-ROM is, but I haven't
>> heard of any problems with any SCSI CD-ROM, and the Adaptec 2940 is
>> also well-known and used.  How do you determine that the OS doesn't
>> recognize it?
>
> I'm not sure what the brand of the CDROM is, but it's name-brand, on the
> SCSI interface.
>
> I wish it were as simple as a jumped conclusion, but to me it's pretty
> simple - either the CDROM drive works or it doesn't.  Funny thing: I
> install 2.1.5 - it works perfectly; I install 2.2.2, it doesn't work - it
> isn't recognized; it can't be mounted using any recognizeable device
> identifiers; I went thru the entire hardware list and couldn't get anything
> to work.

Well, read my question:

> How do you determine that the OS doesn't recognize it?

I'm not denying that you have problems with the CD-ROM, but what
you've told me now doesn't help.  What did dmesg say?  What did
mount(8) say?  What convinced you that the thing wasn't working?

> At the time, I had my 2.1.5 system crash - the hard drive was bad.  This
> was an unforseen disaster so I didn't have the luxury of spending a day or
> two to find out what was wrong - not when my web server was averaging about
> 3M hits a day when it died.  I had 2.2.2 so I thought this was an
> opportunity to install it - unfortunately the installation was not as
> smooth as 2.1.5.  I tried three times, re-configured everything over and
> over and still couldn't get it to work.  I even replaced the 2940uw with a
> newer version which supported the bootable CDROM - I could boot from the
> damn CDROM and install 2.2.2, but when FreeBSD booted, it refused to
> recognize the CDROM and I couldn't install any ports - and of course,
> cdrom.com is so blazingly fast [sic] that it wasn't economical to download
> what I needed.  So I stuck the 2.1.5 CDROM back in, and without any
> troubles, without any configuration problems or kernel rebuilding, it
> installed flawlessly.  How do you explain that?

First, I ask more questions.  Where did you get the CD-ROM from?  BTW,
cdrom.com *is* fast.  It's probably your net connect that's the
problem.  I certainly always advise against net installations.

> As a result....
>
>>> From my perspective, 2.2.2 sucks
>
> The one time I needed to take advantage of the WONDERFUL ease of
> installation of FreeBSD in a mission critical environment, it failed on me,
> so that probably explains my cynacism - although I'm still a huge fan of
> FreeBSD - but all I can recommend at this time is 2.1.5 - even with its
> bugs, it's a workhorse.

I think you're missing the point that, whatever has happened, it's
only happened to you.  You can stick with your attitude, or you can
let people help you.

>> I think that this says more about your perspective than 2.2.2.
>
> Maybe so.  I use the OS to get work done and don't have time to figure out
> why a newer version doesn't seem to support the same hardware configuration
> as its predecessor.  Maybe it is possible to get it working, but I couldn't
> figure it out soon enough and I don't think it should have been that
> difficult.

Sure it shouldn't have been that difficult.  Life's a bitch, and it
looks like this time it's out to get you.

Greg