Date:      Thu, 8 May 2014 17:12:24 +0300
From:      Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Wiring down' iSCSI devices / stop swapping dev nodes...

On May 8, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk> wrote:

>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm using the new iSCSI stack on FreeBSD 10. Seems to work fine so far =
- but I've noticed an issue (which is probably not related to new/old =
stack).
>=20
> I have a number of iSCSI targets setup - when they initially connect, =
they appear as '/dev/da[6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13]'
>=20
> However, if the remote node dies - when the iSCSI targets reconnect =
some of the drives transpose positions.
>=20
> I'm not specifically reconnecting them - just bringing the remote back =
up (when ctld / iscsid load up) - causes the local node to 'see' the =
drives have returned after a while (i.e. I don't run any iscsictl =
commands or anything).
>=20
> e.g. This time round drive previously connected to '/dev/da11' has now =
transposed with the drive that was connected to '/dev/da12'
>=20
> Is there any way I can prevent this? - i.e. by pre-alloctating / =
specifying '/dev/da' entries for devices or something?
>=20
> It's easy to see it happening on this test system as the drives are a =
mix of 750Gb and 2Tb - so when a 2Tb switches places with a 750Gb it's =
pretty obvious :)
>=20
> -Karl

one solution is to use gpart (8)
	gpart create -s GPT /dev/dan
	=85
	gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l d0/p1 /dev/dan

and you can use now
	/dev/gpt/d0/p1

which [should] be true whatever iscsi decides to call device.

danny