Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 07:54:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>, security@freebsd.org, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

=)> There's a thing really I can't understand in all this thread.
=)> Nobody said:
=)> "Vince, we're sorry about what happened to you. Probably you did something
=)> stupid, but _everybody_ has to learn his lesson the hard way.
=)> Here you are a a checklist of books, programs and ideas to follow to
=)> improve the security of your site."
=)>
=)> No, everybody started to flame at him! Why? Because he choosed as his
=)> subject line: "security hole in FreeBSD" instead of "I'm a sucker
=)> please you security wizards help me" ?
=)
=)
=)Ahh, but you assume that we haven't ever seen Vinny before.
=)Unfortunately, his behavior is 'typical', in that he wants us to do all
=)his research and work for him, rather than him spending the time to do
=)his own work.  He also shows a complete lack of interest in finding out
=)solutions to his own problems.

	I have tried reading the docs and it sometimes fails so what would
you do?

=)I've dealt with him too many times over the last 2 years to have
=)anything but pity on any company he works for, since he will require
=)hand-holding and doesn't do anything on his own.

	Since when have you dealt with me too many times over the last 2
years, you have helped me exactly twice.  What works for you will not
necessarily work for everyone.  Everytime all you would do is start
flaming.  Most of the people here have more resources than I would which
is $$$ since remember I don't get paid to do this sysadmin stuff and even
for the router, you are there physically, I am not so I need to verify
things before doing it as a precaution.  I don't think you or anyone else
here never asked for help from others before.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]