Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 14:43:43 -0800
From:      Randy Primeaux <randy@Cloudfactory.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kensington ExpertMouse trackball w/ Belkin KVM, 3.4-STABLE, XF86 3.3.6

Has anyone had success or experience with this configuration:
Kensington Expert Mouse trackball
Belkin OmniCube Keyboard-Video-Mouse (KVM) Switch
FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE
     moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
     XFree86 3.3.6
          (**) Mouse: type: SysMouse, device: /dev/sysmouse, buttons: 4
     Enlightenment with gnome-session

Issue:
System A is FreeBSD as described
System B is Windows 98
System D is FreeBSD 3.2 ipfw w/ natd

After switch away from System A and back, trackball loses sync with
device driver(?), and trackball roll generates mouse-button-click on
root window.  Must reboot to "re-sync".

Also, on boot, kernel identifies "psm0: model ThinkingMouse", but
using moused on vty1 (F1) before startx, trackball-roll also initiates
copy/paste mouse-button-click behavior (i.e. does not behave similar
to Logitech MouseMan+ Wheel Mouse).

I understand that "/kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0000 != 0080)" may
be in the current GNATS bug database.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are my messages and configuration:
grep -i psm /var/log/messages:
Mar  3 01:54:58 squishy /kernel: psm0 irq 12 on isa
Mar  3 01:54:59 squishy /kernel: psm0: model ThinkingMouse, device ID 0
Mar  3 20:09:23 squishy /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0000 != 0080).

from /etc/XFConfig:
#Kensington ExpertMouse ThinkingMouse
Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "SysMouse"           # recommended by FreeBSD
   Device          "/dev/sysmouse"      # recommended by FreeBSD
   Buttons         4
EndSection

On an unrelated tangent, this hardware setup works well with my
Logitech MouseMan+ Wheel Mouse:

From /etc/XFConfig:
Section "Pointer"
### /dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse MouseMan+
##   Protocol        "MouseManPlusPS/2" # recommended by Enlightenment
#   Protocol        "IntelliMouse"      # only for serial mouse
#   Protocol "Auto"                     # this worked
   Protocol        "SysMouse"           # recommended by FreeBSD
##   Device          "/dev/psm0"
   Device          "/dev/sysmouse"      # recommended by FreeBSD
   ZAxisMapping    4 5
#   Resolution      200
   Buttons         5
EndSection

BTW, no, I don't use both Pointer configs at the same time.
--
Randy Primeaux
randy@cloudfactory.org		http://cloudfactory.org/~randy/